Friday, March 17, 2017

And the title is...

After a lot of thinking, researching, and planning... I finally came to a decision on the title of my magazine! It really came to me after having a conversation with one of my aunts on the phone. She lives in Colombia but she owns her own boutique and designs clothing for a living, so she is pretty knowledgable with fashion and style. I told her about this project and she couldn't be more excited for me and she offered to help me if I ever needed clarifications or assistance at any point during the process. We got into conversation about what draws us to fashion, and that's when it hit me. She was telling me how she got started in establishing her business and how she was forced to sew since she was a very little girl because her family (my father's side of the family) could not afford to buy their own clothing very often. My father is the youngest of 6... And he is also the only male. All my aunts were taught to sew at an extremely young age, and for most of them it was always a hassle and an annoyance having to spend hours sewing in the hot sun. However, my aunt Clara (the one I'm on the phone with) never saw sewing as a chore or as an annoyance. She always felt very fond of sewing. So she told me that that is how it all started for her, and from that moment she started to pursue fashion with great determination. She then told me that although clothing is tangible, style isn't. That's when it came to me that style is like an illusion, or like a Mirage.

And that is how Mirage was born. I am so excited that my magazine finally has a name to it. I've been getting so annoyed with always referring to Mirage as "my magazine project." A mirage is almost like something that you want toes but that isn't actually there. The best example of a mirage is when someone has been walking through a boiling hot desert for hours with no water, and then suddenly they see a tiny lake in the middle of the sand with cold, refreshing, clean water. And the closer they try to get to the little lake, the more it disappears and then eventually the person realizes that its simply an illusion. Fashion, in a way, is like an illusion. It's something that has so much effort, time, and money put into it but at the end of the day we all have to take off our clothes. And it's in that moment when we realize that we are all actually the same. Well, like I said before, please forgive me because I tend to ramble.

Till next time, xoxo.

No comments:

Post a Comment